By the time Bryan Harper entered the game, the Hagerstown Suns (South Atlantic – A) were already down 6-0 and two runners were on base. And while it didn’t make a difference, Harper did what any reliever is expected to do in such situations: limit the damage. Harper pitched two full innings and gave up no hits and just one walk. In the process he lowered his post-season era to 3.38 and WHIP to 1.125. Meanwhile, his team remains 1 game away from being named champions of the South Atlantic League.
In the Eastern League (AA), Nik Turley’s Trenton Thunder finished its post-season with its 6th straight win, finishing off the Harrisburg Senators and capturing the league title. Turley pitched, and won, one of the six games, finishing the post-season with a 3.00 era and 1.33 WHIP. He struck out 10 in 6.0 innings.
Did not play: Mitch Maier (DL); Clayton Mortensen (P-pitched Wednesday); Nik Turley (P – pitched Tuesday)
Each of the two AAA leagues have league conference playoffs, championship series, and then the champions of each league then meet in a single game AAA championship, scheduled for September 17th in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Mitch Maier, Pawtucket Red Sox, International League, North Conference Champions (on disabled list — did not play so far)
* The Red Sox defeated the Rochester Red Wings 3-2 in a 5-game series played Sept. 4-8
* The Red Sox are tied with the Durham Bulls 1-1 in the 5-game League championship series held Sept. 10-14.
* If they win the League Championship, they play the Pacific Coast League champion in the Triple-A Championship held September 17th.
Pacific Coast League
- Clayton Mortensen, Omaha Storm Chasers, Pacific Coast League, Amerian Northern Conference Champions
* The Storm Chasers defeated the Oklahoma City RedHawks 3-0 in a 5-game series played Sept. 4-8
* The Storm Chasers lead the Salt Lake Bees 2-0 in the 5-game League championship series Sept. 10-15.
* If they win the League Championship, they play the International League champion in the Triple-A Championship held September 17th.
- Mitch Talbot, Las Vegas 51s, Pacific Coast League, Pacific Southern Conference Champions (on disabled list — did not pitch)
* The 51s lost to the Salt Lake Bees 3-1 in a 5-game series played Sept. 4-8
The top two teams in each of the two divisions in the Eastern League play each other in a 5-game series to determine the division champions. The division champions then face each other in a championship series.
- Nik Turley, Trenton Thunder, Eastern League, Eastern Division 2nd place team
* Trenton Thunder beat the Binghamton Mets 3-0 in a 5-game series Sept. 4-8.
* The Thunder beat the Harrisburg Senators 3-0 in the 5-game League championship series Sept. 10-14.
Each of the two divisions in the Florida State League play division series between the winners of each half of the season to determine the division champions. The division champions then face each other in a championship series.
- Taylor Cole, Dunedin Blue Jays, Florida State League, North Division 1st half winner
* Dunedin Blue Jays were eliminated in a 2-game series Sept. 3-4 by the Daytona Cubs. Cole did not pitch in either game.
The first and second place teams from each half of the season from each of the two divisions in the Midwest League qualify for the playoffs. The winner of each half season plays the second place team from the other half season to determine who plays in a division series that determines the division champions. The division champions then face each other in a championship series.
- Marcus Littlewood, Clinton LumberKings, Midwest League, Western Divison 2nd half 2nd place team
* The LumberKings were eliminated by the Beloit Snappers 0-2 in a 3-game series September 4-6
South Atlantic League
Each of the two divisions in the South Atlantic League play division series between the winners of each half of the season to determine the division champions. The division champions then face each other in a championship series.
- Bryan Harper, Hagerstown Suns, South Atlantic League, first half winners, Northern Division
* Suns beat the West Virginia Power 2-1 in a 3-game series Sept. 4-7.
* The Suns trail the Savannah Sand Gnats 1-2 in a 5-game League Championship Series Sept. 9-14
I will try to keep us all up-to-date with the status of these Mormon minor leaguers over the next couple weeks. Enjoy the minor league post season!